Saturday, November 20, 2010

Beijing in the fall

is so pretty! We had over 2 weeks of blue sky days... it was absolutely amazing. I knew it had to come to an end soon, and when it did, it was with a vengeance! The embassy was getting pretty funny with their air quality read-outs... instead of "hazardous" they chose "crazy bad," which was hysterical to me. Yesterday, the pollution read-outs were off the charts, so they literally had to write "beyond index." Hopefully we get some wind and it clears up!

Beijing has been really pretty in the fall and I thought I'd post a few pictures to show the change of seasons. These pics are from all over Beijing - random streets, the Forbidden City, the Great Wall at Mutianyu.

At the Forbidden City



In this picture, we wandering down a hutong and stepped in to show my parents where the cook lives for the cooking class I go to. These two women, mother and daughter, used to live in the house back to the left... they left in '62, when the daughter was just a baby. We all went back and the people currently living in the home invited us in and showed us around. It was so cool to have the opportunity to see the inside! My husband and the older woman not only spoke Chinese together, but practiced their Russian as well.


Pretty fall leaves on a random Beijing street




The Great Wall at Mutianyu





The hubby and I at my favorite park in Beijing: Beihai. See that tree? It was COLD that day!



At the market with the chef, shopping for our cooking class. Sometimes the uggs need to be worn, what can I say? They are so warm and super comfy to walk around in for me (but my feet don't really have an arch, so that may be why I find them so comfy to walk in for hours on end).

"What's this called?"

Making dumplings


Mmm the yummy Sichuan noodles we made. SO delish! 担担面


Steph

9 comments:

  1. steph ^-^ !

    your pictures are always such a pleasure to view. you transport me. love the beautiful colors fall brings us, such gold, coppers and reds. your photos or should i say beijings walkways are so dreamy. and i cannot say enough about your noodles, the look so yummy, just want to reach into the photo and grab em.

    happy travels, journey and eatings in beijing and thanks so much for sharing your delights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pictures are amazing and make me want to fly over there asap! Glad to see your having a blast!

    xx
    Jessie
    http://87life.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty---the leaves and the streets look so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, so pretty...I love the lanterns!

    Liesl :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard that fall is the best time to visit Beijing. The pictures look amazing! What a nice place!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such gorgeous images Steph! So glad you're having such beautiful days. Your favorite park looks amazing and I am swooning at your Great Wall pictures! I don't think I would ever be able to get enough of that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your photos are beautiful -- I especially love the red lanterns against the yellow tree.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Steph, I'm going to need the contact info of the place you stayed at (and your tour-guide) in Guilin AND your cooking instructors :-) Everything looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete