Thursday, March 18, 2010

The easiest thing you can do to keep your skin young-looking

If you do nothing else, wear sunscreen.

Even if the day doesn't seem particularly sunny, its still really important to wear sunscreen. On overcast days, the sun can sometimes actually be stronger due to the way it gets reflected from the clouds (Hey, my doctor told me this! You can't make this stuff up!).

Don't forget to not only apply it to your face, but also your NECK, and your HANDS, too! Many people neglect putting sunscreen on their neck and hands, and these two places are actually some of the first places that can give away your age!

I know how hard it is to find a good sunscreen to wear on a place as sensitive as your face. I am really picky about what I put on my face, and I am especially picky about how the cream I use on my face feels. The last thing you want is a greasy cream on your face, especially when you are on vacation - combine an already greasy sunscreen with sweat, and that feeling is almost unbearable.

I have searched high and low for a sunscreen that doesn't feel greasy on my face, and I have two amazing options that I think are worth trying.

First, this sunscreen is actually a daily moisturizer and sunscreen combined into one. I use it every morning on my face, and I love it. Its not greasy at all, it doesn't clog my pores, and it looks great under makeup - makeup goes on very smooth, almost as if you have a primer on (even if you don't!).

Its La Roche Posay's Award Winning Anthelios Daily Moisturizing Cream with SPF 15


On the La Roche Posay website, it sells for 30 dollars - but I recommend buying from here. Its sold for only 23 dollars for 3.4 ounces. It lasts awhile, too so I definitely think its worth the money. Its also very moisturizing without being oily. I highly recommend it!!

From the La Roche Posay website:

Product Information
Allure October 2009 Best of Beauty WINNER: Best Facial Moisturizer for Normal Skin.

Breakthrough daily moisturizer containing Mexoryl™ SX, a unique organic UV filter that is highly protective against short UVA waves, provides comprehensive UVA/UVB protection*. Anthelios SX features the first new sun filter in a sunscreen approved by the FDA in 18 years.

Benefits
Moisturizer with SPF 15 for daily protection
Light, oil-free texture
Non-acnegenic, non-comedogenic
24 hour hydration
Fragrance-free, PABA-free
Dermatologist and allergy tested

Also, I found this review on amazon and thought it was interesting. I cannot attest to the validity of the comment, but thought it was intriguing and thought I'd share:

The Anthelios website notes that SPF factors only measure blockage of UVB rays and not UVA. In essence, because this product does a much better job of blocking short UVA rays (it's much more photostable than other sunscreens and therefore lasts longer in the sun) than most other chemical sunscreens on the market, it's still much more protective than a sunscreen with a higher SPF rating (which simply means it blocks more UVB rays).

My next suggestion is a really unique sunscreen that I absolutely LOVE. My mom introduced me to this a few years ago - she still uses it every day. Its Colorescience's Sunforgettable. It also comes in 6 different shades.

Although it retails for 50 dollars - its a little on the pricey side - but just one tube lasts several months! I used this while I was vacation in French Polynesia - and I did not burn at all, and that South Pacific sun is STRONG! I also love that it can be worn over makeup, or on bare skin with no makeup, yet can still provide a little sheer coverage.

This is also a great sunscreen to travel with! Its not a liquid or a cream so its really easy to take on a plane in your carry- on.

From the website:
Sunforgettable Mineral Powder Sun Protection SPF 30

Sun protection is the fundamental step in keeping skin healthy and beautiful. Sunforgettable’s highly refined minerals shield skin from the damaging effects of the sun and environment, helping to defend against the signs of aging. It is a lightweight mineral powder with a barely-there feel that provides the safest, non-irritating, instant UVA and UVB sun protection. The self-dispensing powder brush makes this breakthrough, sheer formula easy to apply and reapply throughout the day.

Because I know how important it is to always wear sunscreen, and I know how hard it is to find a great one - I wanted to pass on these two amazing products to you guys! These are definitely holy grail products for me.

BTW - I repurchased my glossy black Hunter wellys from Nordstrom, and they already shipped! I figured since they serve a practical purpose my husband really couldn't say anything :o)

Until next time -

Steph

2 comments:

  1. I went out and bought the colorscience as soon as you recommended it! Thanks for the suggestion. I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post! I am completely obsessed with skin care and sun protection. The colorscience is on my shopping list for my upcoming cruise. Such a genius idea!

    ReplyDelete